Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Throwback

Yes, my mother called that girl a throwback. I don't remember why except that she was sort of weird as was her mother. They lived not far from us in El Salvador but that was the only time we ever saw them. They were too deeply strange so we apparently preferred not to get back in touch with them later and we have no idea where they ended up on the planet. By "throwback" I am not sure what my mother meant. She did not mean to just throw her back like a fish in the ocean. I think she was just indicating that those people were strangely obnoxious and difficult to talk to, hypocrites who pretend on the surface to be part of our Christian milieu while in actuality promoting other things in conversation, things that are mostly divisive and tear people apart. We were not interested in arguing with them about the system and all the things that are wrong with it, even if there are many things wrong with it. We just want them to go away and leave us alone.