Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Which Reminds Me

We were living in El Salvador in July of 1969 at the time of the Soccer War between El Salvador and Honduras. I remember that after the war ended the country held a victory parade. A column of soldiers carrying guns, some riding in Jeeps and other military vehicles, paraded down Calle Roosevelt, a street that happened to be a half-block from our back door. All we had to do was walk out our back door and through a parking lot to see the victory parade. My Dad snapped some photos of the parade, and those photos are probably still somewhere in the family collection. This was after we had spent a few nights without electricity. Throughout the war, which, by the way, lasted only 100 hours, they turned of the electricity at 6 p.m. so that theoretically the Honduran bombers would not be able to find the city for bombing purposes. All was dark. We sat on the terrace listening to radio reports on my Dad's old shortwave radio, sometimes tuning in reports of either country, all sounding rather similar in reverse because each side had its war propaganda. So I am rather perturbed to be hearing tirades from some clueless Honduranian latecomers when actually it was not our war. Salvador just happened to be the place where we were living at the time due to various circumstances beyond our control, not really our native country. There were also a couple of military coups during the time we lived there but I cannot say that I really understood what that was all about.

I am certain that if we had happened to be living in Honduras at the time we might have been taking pictures of the other side. Whatever.

Which reminds me that I remember reading that a lot of Salvador's airplanes and weapons were purchased from Israel which was considered a strong ally of El Salvador at the time. I understand that in more recent years the Arabs gained much power there and changed a lot of things but back in those days it was not like that. I really don't remember the Civil War and all of the other things that happened after we left the country so I really would not be able to comment much on that.