Friday, October 18, 2013

Which Reminds Me

Yes, I am suddenly somehow reminded of Ulysses, our high school classmate I barely knew even then. I do remember that he was the captain of the Blue Team, of which I was a member. The whole school was divided into four teams for the purpose of relay races on the school's Game Day. Very interesting that he died only about a year after high school graduation, as if someone had left his body stutteringly inert in some automobile accident of which I barely recall some explanation being given by the class. Yet why all these extraneous references to the hero of the Odyssey, a book that we read for Spanish literature class in Spanish, as if my English report on mythology had not focused on Hercules actually. Ulysses was discussed in Spanish class. It is always sad to see high school classmates die so young whoever they may be, although there are others who died more recently at more advanced ages. It is always sad yet sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.