Monday, October 14, 2013

Which Reminds Me

My name is not Helen Ready ("I am Woman" the song), neither am I familiar with the Gilbert and Sullivan repertoire. Rather, I think that my gender identity is not defined by the work that I do. That would be a wrong answer to the question of who I am as a woman. Blah blah blah. Thus I am somewhat reluctant to rush into any working arrangement without the existence of a legally binding contract in which I would receive some form of remuneration for all of my hard work. To work for nothing would be nothing less than slavery, drudgery. Never did I apply for a job at the Panama Donut Shop, not that it would not be honest work for those called to be panderers of donuts and coffee, etc. But there would be no reason for the Donut Marketers of Panama to imagine that I would be available gratis to do whatever they want just because. Spending all of my waking hours managing dough and pouring drinks would detract from my primary calling which, needless to say, relates to the Great Commission. The donut shop denizens already have their receipts upon this earth. But I would prefer to store up treasures in heaven where rust and moths cannot corrode.