Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Which Reminds Me

When I was studying journalism I wrote an article for the school paper, and then someone in Atlanta reprinted my article in his paper in Georgia. Our newspaper editor was indignant and wrote for not asking permission formally before reprinting my article. Although she showed me her letter and I Ok'd her sending it off because I assumed that she knew what she was doing, I tend to think in retrospect that I probably should have told her not to be using my name and representing me that way. That really wasn't necessary. Her letter might have made me look like such a legalistic fuddy-duddy. Come to think of it, it was really sort of flattering that some complete stranger would want to reprint my article in his paper even if the permission was not procured in the proper way and besides these severe legalism tend to strain relationships that might otherwise have been helpful in the future.