Monday, May 25, 2015

Which Reminds Me

During third grade in Guadalajara, Mexico, I remember that one day I got confused and entered the wrong classroom, the classroom one over because I don't know, I thought I was walking in the door of one classroom and suddenly the teacher of another class is standing there and starts screaming at me, which scared me badly. I had not meant to enter that classroom. I don't remember how I got lost. Strange that such a minor incident should still be floating around in orbit, as if I had intentionally tried to join the class one year ahead of mine when actually it was just a matter of getting confused about which door was which. And then there was Kent Stone there in my third grade class to always oppose me in everything and make me feel like an idiot. Like the time we were at the beach and wave knocked me over and I did a 360-degree flip in the wave and my fingertips touched the sand, and when I wrote this in a school paper and turned it in to the teacher, the paper was returned to me with the word fingers crossed out and replaced with toes. Clearly the teacher made a mistake and yet Kent ridiculed me for daring to suggest that the teacher might be wrong. Yes, well, we must be diplomatic on these points, but still I don't recall the teacher being there at the beach to experience what I did, so I am just saying, I still think that the teacher was wrong.