Monday, May 18, 2015

Which Reminds Me

I seem to remember as in a dream that you were saying to me that I should perhaps go to Texas and research in-depth the newspaper writings of my McClellan ancestor. You were saying that I would soon find there in the archives of Texas plenty of evidence that he said some very hateful and stereotypically prejudicial things about people, especially Mexicans and Indians, of whom he occasionally perhaps had advocated the killing for various reasons, such as reprisals or opening the west for white settlers or something like that, especially near the time of the Mexican-American War, a time when he actually was already working in newspapers. He had an ongoing feud with Sam Houston. They had known each other from schooldays and continued to despise each other throughout life.

I have thought about that often but as yet have no money available to move to Austin where I would presumably be spending all of my time commuting to the Texas state archives to look for all of this stuff that you were suggesting to me via your representative. Only a few excerpts are featured in the family book. Yes, perhaps there would be more interesting verbiage there to be found and also in the Sam Houston files.

Nevertheless, I think that it would only be fair that I should not have to pay for that. Since when do the children have to pay for the crimes of their fathers of either side of that argument?

But since all's fair in love and war, perhaps you would also agree to publish the entire unexpurgated complete and unabridged files of this dreary secretive Bush Society of which I suspect the authorship of this commentary may have originated. Since when have I even heard of those people until they drop out of nowhere to attack me?