Friday, May 8, 2015

Which Reminds Me

It is interesting to note the existence of Miss Mary Whiton Calkins, a famous person person of my surname. I have been almost unaware of this person's existence most of the time so I really have no intelligent commentary to offer on the subject of her. I do not wish to disrespect her academic achievements. I doubt that I could pass the doctoral exam of Harvard, as she did, for starters, so I really do not feel myself qualified to comment on the various writings of Miss Calkins that are part of the literature of philosophy and psychology. I see that she has had her place at the table in the existential sense, never mind about Professor Perry. Although it may be useful to Criticize with a big capital C, these tidbits alone do not constitute a Confederacy of Miss Calkins. What a headache to be see that someone is expecting to be constituted a clone of Miss Calkins. It is not possible for me to share the consciousness of Mary. I am only conscious that I know almost nothing about her and really don't mind not being her. My knowledge of psychology is not very deep but that never did interest me very much anyway. Contemplating one's own naval only gets you so far and then you have to go out and get a job and work.