Thursday, May 7, 2015

Which Reminds Me

Yes, I do vaguely recall that for about a year in California I had a roommate named Laura Entz, of German Mennonite background, who had also lived in Korea as a missionary kid. I lost track of her long ago. She moved away and who knows what happened to her. It was amazing how many boyfriends she had coming and going at the time. There was a guy from Bolivia, a black guy who worked at a library, a cranky white guy who worked in the aeronautics industry nearby, etc. etc. I cannot be expected to keep track of all of Laura's boyfriends. They all belonged to her. Interesting how blondes can get away with flirting that way whereas if I acted like that I would just be stigmatized. As Laura said to me with a condescending look, I have all those awful freckles. The freckles, they just won't go away. And so what? If I had to live my life based on something Laura said or thought I would just go nuts. Laura just doesn't understand me and neither did her stupid cat that bit me on the legs and crawled all over the kitchen counters shedding cat hair all over the place. Good riddance to Laura, said I, when she decided to move out. I was more comfortable living without her around to make a mess of everything.