Friday, March 25, 2016

Which Reminds Me

I remember Sharon Deras talking about how much she loves the music of Mocedades, a musical group based in Spain. They might even be actually Basques although I'm not sure. They were very popular all over Latin America. I liked their music, too. So why is there a music video on Youtube of them extolling Che Guevara, a Cuban who died young during the Cuban Revolution after vacationing in Argentina, where he plays a role in the Broadway musical that I never saw in its entirety anyway? He is often romanticized by Marxists as the best known martyr of the Cuban Revolution. Of course, if you talk to the Cubans in the U.S. who fled Cuba as a result of that Revolution, they will tell us a completely different story of Che. So obviously it depends on which side of the political fence you are sitting on, whether you think that Che was a hero or a villain. The Cubans of the U.S. have been waiting a long time for the Cuban Revolution to implode eventually and yet the island country continues to putter along just fine with help from its own set of friends in Europe and Latin America. So this stalemate could possibly continue indefinitely, someone is saying. I don't know why I would need to comment on that. I personally do not involve myself in the border disputes of Southern Cone countries, although there is always a danger of getting trapped by circumstances beyond one's control.