Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Which Reminds Me

Yes, why am I getting all these Letters of Marque? Something you may need to get around on the High Seas perhaps. But then, oh no, I see that you are talking about Broadway Mark. Oh, that Mark. I only met him personally once in my entire life and I don't think he liked me. He almost immediately said that he would not help me. Ok, so, whatever. Fine. Mark is not going to help me. Ok, fine. Help me what? He didn't get specific. He just said "help," or rather "not help," in whatever sense of the word "help" might mean to him, or you, or everyone else in the room who overheard that, one would easily imagine.

Anyway, one would easily imagine that Broadway Mark has long since married his long-time girlfriend, the one who was seen accompanying him on visits to our campus, although I haven't heard anything specific about that. One would easily imagine that Mark, with his many talents, would have risen to the top of the music profession there in New York City.

Mark once came to our campus and gave a speech about his experiences touring with a Broadway road show. He described the lengthy parties that follow the show, where all the performers run around acting crazy in their hotel rooms. So that was, well, interesting? So we hope that Mark lives happily ever after in NYC but we were not planning to follow him there. Most of us have more modest ambitions. We have no illusions of being able to compete in such a competitive environment. Or at least I speak for myself.