Sunday, December 18, 2016

Which Reminds Me

I think that I do remember my grandfather McClellan talking about Thomas More and something about how things could have turned out differently under other circumstances, but I cannot recall the details of that. I think that it is just another moot point of history, and how things could have worked out differently under other circumstances but didn't. The doors of Tudor history have been closed for a long time now and everyone has moved on to other things. My grandfather probably knew many interesting things but he died in 1971 so there is no way that I can go back and ask him to explain that again. It was a key point of the Protestant Reformation in England that King Henry VIII did not have to have the Pope's permission to divorce his Spanish wife but of course the Stricklands are Catholic recusants so they would apparently want to make some political points on that score, roll back the Protestant Reformation and restore the religious uniformity of Europe,  even if I really can't help with that because I don't remember anything. It's just all out of my control. Yes, it was one of those things where both sides had some good points but only side could win. So what else is there to say about that? Sometimes life just isn't fair. Sometimes you have to lose something to win. Otherwise it's just a stalemate.