Sunday, July 10, 2011

Bad Rick, Good Rick

Yes, in some ways it was nice that the Snells appeared there in El Salvador and were so friendly and invited us to their beach house at least once where we hung out with the son Rick and he drove us around in his convertible with the top down and we all had a great time. On the other hand, it was sort of not good to have the Smeyas always hanging around because they were not really missionaries and we were not really sure exactly what they were doing there, something about being in business and doing business there, whatever. Also, the wife was not really Rick's mother but we were not sure about that situation or what to ask or say about that as we really did not know the Smeyas very well and had not met them before they appeared down there so no way to know anything about their history back in the United States. Rick might have liked my little sister although I really don't remember. Whatever. It is not like I ever had another thought of Rick after I returned to the United States to go to college. We did not stay in touch with the Snells, Rick and his father Al, later. I am not saying this to be mean but the Snells were really closer friends with the Buenos than they were with us. Rick spent a lot of time, sometimes almost every day, over at the Bueno house hanging out with the Bueno boys although I also remember him appearing at our front door a time or two. Rick rarely ever said anything to me and it is hard for me to remember anything about him. Poor guy! While we were attending high school Rick was hanging around doing nothing. I later heard that Rick married someone there, a national, and they later moved to San Diego. It is not like there would be any reason to get in touch with Rick as we were never really friends anyway. He only liked my sister.