Thursday, July 28, 2011

David

In my genealogical ramblings, not to be confused with the grandiose delusions of the Texas land office archival state-sponsored prostitution ring, I recently uncovered the fact that my Dad's Uncle Ben had a son named David not to be confused with the son of my Dad's Uncle Ariel whose name also is David, and a daughter named Laurie, not to be confused with my first cousin whose name also is Laurie of whose existence I am aware. Only a psycho would make anything of these name similarities. Like, so what? Like, why should I care? I was never aware of the existence of either David until the last five years. It is surprising for me to learn that there were any of my Dad's relatives living in Northern California given the fact that I always thought that all of my Dad's relatives were from Southern California, not that I was aware of Joe and Dora having any children as no one ever mentioned their existence to me. I really do not understand the connection to Long Beach because I never actually lived there so cannot really comment due to family complications, not that I would know anything about that.

It seems that Uncle Ben's son David died in 1981 in South Carolina, according to public records posted on Ancestry.com. How did a San Francisco-born person wind up dead in the Deep South at age 35? Was he married with children? I never knew that he existed so it is hard for me to say anything about him. Nor was I aware of the existence of his sister Laurie.

The same is true of Uncle Ariel's David. I never knew that my Dad's Uncle Ariel has five children. No one ever mentioned their existence to me, let alone introduced us, so it is surprising to learn of their existence after so many years of their nonexistence. I was only aware of redheaded Danny because we met at a funeral. He said he remembers seeing us when we were little redheaded children but I have no memory of him or of the imaginary world which he inhabits in lieu of reality.

It just wasn't like that as far as I am concerned, but then again I do not remember anything about that.