Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Partiless Me

Yes, if only I could have a party but they won't let me have a social life. I'm not sure why. Well, maybe it has something to do with the party I held for myself when I was eight years old. The children's encyclopedia, Childcraft, described how to have a party. You invite all your friends and then you all play games together. So I took the book's advice and made invitations and gave them to all my friends telling them to come to my party at a certain time on a certain day and then when everybody arrived with their parents, my parents were surprised because they had not planned anything. I had forgotten to tell my parents about the party that I had planned. Oh well, minor detail. Can't we just all play games like it says in the Childcraft book? So anyway the whole thing was sort of embarrassing for them and even more so for me. I was mortified after all the fussing. Yes, I do remember Kent Stone being particularly critical and contemptuous of me because, well, that was so bad of me. Bad girl! Bad girl! So, well, that is the last time I ever invited Kent to any party of mine, at least that much is for sure. I remember telling my Mom I did not know how I could survive that, I was so embarrassed, and my mom said that later I would not even remember that incident, I might even laugh and think it was funny. But at eight years old it did not seem very funny to be treated so rudely by all my friends. So much for having a party.