Friday, August 12, 2016

Which Reminds Me

Interestingly, in our researches we learned about Earnest Elmo Calkins, about his rise to fame in the advertising world, and how after his death in 1964 his advertising agency was merged into the Inter Public Group of Companies, a huge conglomerate of media companies of which nothing is known, just that you can read about this on Wikipedia. Just because my surname also happens to be Calkins, that does not constitute any link between us and them. I don't know anything about it. Even so, there is no law barring any future Calkins from rising to fame in the advertising world, assuming they got a proper start in that business, which I didn't so obviously I never had any illusions about New York being a place for me. Going there would mean for me to be eaten alive and discarded like yesterday's garbage. Don't I have somewhere else to go than New York? What kind of state song is that? I am just saying.

It's the principle that counts.