Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Which Reminds Me

When I was at Evangel College, I remember that Dean Best made his own name the school motto, "Be the Best." He even distributed buttons and banners or something with his "Be the Best" motto imprinted on it. And yet I seem to remember hearing later that he was fired due to an indiscretion the details of which are not clear to me, which is sad because his daughter was a friend of mine. So apparently just having the name of "Best" does not guarantee a place at the top of the world. I would not want to have to pay Dean Best's baggage fees. And wouldn't I look ridiculous crowing about myself being the "Best"? Too much pressure. There always will be someone better than me at the game of tiddlywinks. I am so out of practice when it comes to that game. Why should I try to pretend otherwise? Similarly, why should I be required to answer the phone for Rose Schott? Rose is just one of those distant Ohio connections, a cousin many times removed, whose name appears in genealogy charts somehow, but of whom actually nothing is known, just that they are players, obviously, of some insane game that means nothing to me, otherwise why would their names recur in the most irrelevant places. So just because my name sounds like candy, that does not mean there is any sugar money in me. And just because your name is Good, that does not make me Bad. I am just saying. Get real.