Sunday, October 14, 2012

Blessings

So you think that you are going to pour a vat of burning coals on my head. The trouble is that I really don't know very much about the Cole family so you will just be writhing around like the Devil that you are while I will just being sitting here clueless. Still I have no idea what your problem is or why I should care that you have some sort of problem with the Cole family. I do remember well that the Coles were very good friends of my grandparents and Grandpa Calkins was a member of the board of directors of the ministry organization that was founded by the Rev. Edwin Cole, which was called Maximized Manhood. Beyond that I do not very much about it. I do recall that while I was at SCC Mr. Cole was holding church services in a theater not far from the college over on Harbor Boulevard. I attended services there a few times at their invitation. How I got there I can't quite recall, probably got rides from whoever. He was a good speaker. I also remember once having lunch with my grandparents and the Coles and Mr. Cole was very nice in encouraging me and telling some stories. The stories are well known to all of us. Grandpa Calkins played some role in leading Mr. Cole to the Lord and Mr. Cole was saying that he always thought of Grandpa Calkins as his role model for what a Christian man should be, and also my Dad. Probably not so much Uncle Merle, although he never said that. One just assumes. Mr. Cole was originally a hard-drinking guy who worked for Grandpa Calkins on various construction projects, during which time he poured cement into my Dad's working shoes as some kind of joke. Grandpa Calkins' and my Dad's calm reaction to Mr. Cole's cussing and swearing behavior was part of what brought Mr. Cole to an awareness of his own sinfulness and need for a Savior, I remember him saying. So anyway these stories are often repeated. As for the rest of their family, I don't know much. I met Joanne only once when she came to my room in the dorm to introduce herself. Cori was there so she also met Cori. That is probably the only time I ever talked to Joanne. I once applied at their ministry organization for employment but did not accept the job offered because the son-in-law who interviewed gave the idea that my employment there would not be his choice anyway. If I ever did work there it would only be some sort of family obligation on their part. Thus I felt there was no reason to impose my presence on the Cole family when they really don't know me anyway, nor do I know anything much about them.