Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Mexican Taunts

Those Mexican girls were taunting me and calling me a "gringa" and  not in a nice way. I just ignored them and did not take it personally because this is a standard generic word they would use for any white person who was in this position, and they did not like me for some reason of which I have no recollection, just that I exist as a white person in this school and have to walk down this path to get to and from the fields where P.E. class is held. There is no reason to give credence to this type of mindless taunting and ridicule from Mexican persons who neither know me personally or are known by me. At first I had thought this was a nonsensical word but actually after you learn what it means you understand how illogical and irrational its use actually is in a generic sense by these Mexican girls, perpetuating the same stereotypes that first arose during the Mexican-American War when U.S. soldiers wearing green uniforms were taunted and told to go home: "Gringo." The "ga" is just a feminized version of this word and yet I am not soldier and neither am I wearing a military uniform and neither can I just click my heels and be magically teleported to Kansas which was never home to me anyway. Because I have to walk down this path to and from third grade P.E. class I have to endure this mindless taunting from mindless Mexican girls who are best ignored because obviously they have no clue. It is just their culture, this robotic loathing of "Imperialist Yankee" white people, a sentiment that is nurtured from an early age by persons who are too proud to admit that using white people as a scapegoat is not going to solve all their problems. It will only extend their misery to me and I don't want it, thanks anyway.