Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Which Reminds Me

Another person listening to Bonnie's loud ponderations might have been the Puerto Rican Eva, who was sitting at the desk directly to my right. Eva was fired a couple of months or so after I started working there. Kathy, her editor, said later that Eva had not yet mastered the arts of spelling and grammar which makes it somewhat hard to succeed in any occupation necessitating written communication of any sort. Not that Kathy did not have her own lack of ethical standards in other ways. Still, despite Kathy's faults, I cannot say that Kathy should have to put up with Eva indefinitely. If the editor has to practically structure and rewrite the entire story then just being an ethnic voice who goes to city hall and brings back a raw notebook was apparently not enough justification for retaining Eva's services. I am just saying what I heard.