Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Which Reminds Me

Recently in reading the diaries of great-grandmother we learned that my Dad's Uncle Ben lived in South Carolina at some time in about 1960. She was traveling through the U.S. visiting relatives and mentions stopping in South Carolina to visit Ben and his family. Oh, I didn't know that. A few years later she mentions visiting Ben in Northern California so it is not clear how long they lived in South Carolina or what they were doing there. One just gets the picture of them being in South Carolina at some time. Oh, I had not been aware of any relatives of ours ever living in such a Deep South state. Of course how we would know that without having read the diaries? Obviously I had not a clue on that point. All these strange mutterings about the Civil War really get on my nerves. Just because Linda Crawley's creepy first husband was from North Carolina, that does not mean that I ever met him or would be invited to the wedding of a nasty rich girl from Canada/Michigan or something like that, as if Linda's "rough" first marriage, a truly civil war of the marital variety, was my fault only because I remember hearing her talk about this. And was Sue also there at the time to hear that? I don't quite remember. What is Michigan's problem anyway? Michigan is nothing to me. I don't even know anyone from Michigan and I really don't care.