Saturday, January 10, 2015

Which Reminds Me

Yes, it does seem a bit weird to see OPEC dictating what I can or cannot do with my non-existent gas and oil money. As if. As if the Middle East were dictating U.S. policy on gas an oil money and/or mineral rights. As if I had no choice in the matter. As if not being connected to the Jewish Kleins, Beverly's in-laws, makes me a Muslim. As if having a Moore far back in the family tree makes us Arab. Um. Not really. As if one could be Jewish and a Christian at the same time, and not crucify Christ all over again. Um. Not really. As a Christian, I must have an identity distinct and separate from either Jewish and Muslim, not to be mean or anything. Sometimes the lines get sort of blurry in this messy world, but I am neither one nor the other. Nevertheless, that said, it does not logically follow that I was ever a fan of the "Three Stooges" television show, unlike some other people I could name. The "Three Stooges" and a few vintage 1950s cartoons were the only English language programming offered on television in San Salvador during the time that I lived there. After the TV station was flipped on at about 4 p.m. weekdays and the grey snow gives way to the test pattern, there would be about a half-hour of English language programming, meaning cartoons and the "Three Stooges," before segueing to the Spanish language programming. I can sort of imagine how some ignorant Salvadorans possibly may be thinking that all English-speaking people are represented by those dopey characters of slapstick fame: Mo, Curly and Larry. As if we just go around slapping and kicking people and poking them in the eyes. Um. Not really. But for some of these ignorant Salvadorans, the "Three Stooges" is almost the only American thing they have ever seen on TV. Also, someone was explaining to me an elaborate theory of the "Three Stooges" as a form of religious satire. Um. That was a novel idea to me. I had not really thought of it that way, but some people's imaginations have no boundaries or limitations. Some people may also be thinking that Christ was condoning his killers. Um. Not exactly. He forgave them because "they know not what they do" but he wasn't really saying that what they did to him was the right thing to do.