Friday, January 2, 2015

Which Reminds Me

I do recall that while I was in high school Eugenia, who had been our maid in Mexico, stopped at our house in San Salvador to visit us. She had traveled to Panama for some reason and was returning from there, I cannot imagine why or who she would have known there. Panama, in my experience, has only minor significance as a Canal Zone especially now that everyone can just fly or truck and avoid the hassle of having to spend all that time navigating through the locks to get from the East to West Coast or vice versa. Really, who cares? Anyway, I don't see Panama applying for U.S. statehood any time soon so why should Panama get all these privileges it really doesn't deserve while U.S. citizens living abroad elsewhere get bumped to pump up the Canal Zone? Yes, I suppose that Panama could be an interesting cruise vacation for some rich people. I can sort of see why the Canal Zone might have seemed very important in the 19th century but a hundred years later I don't know how important that still is for the rest of us. Maybe we don't really need the Canal Zone anyway. Anyway, I can easily forget the Panama Zone ever existed because I was never there and don't really know anything about it. It just wasn't that important to me.