Friday, January 23, 2015

Which Reminds Me

"The chips flew..." This line comes from a story involving Delray Beach city politics that was written by Jeff Perlman. However, I suppose that no one would appreciate my needlessly pointing out that it derives from a story that I had written a week earlier while Jeff, the regular reporter for that city, was on vacation and I was substitute covering a city meeting of Delray Beach in which a man who was proposing to build a Home Depot-type store at an important intersection of Atlantic Avenue in that city apologized for not providing the type of blue chip jobs that might be expected from an IBM or similar computer industry. No, these will be potato chip jobs, I quoted him as saying in the story I had written. Somehow that quote primed the pump for the following week when Jeff had returned from vacation and someone appeared at city hall with a bag of potato chips and threw them at the podium or something like that. Oh, should I apologize for accurately reporting what happened? People say these things but we can't always control how people overreact to such minor wordings.