Sunday, September 4, 2016

Which Reminds Me

Someone was ridiculing and taunting me, saying that I am entirely ignorant of the Mistral wind that blows in the southern parts of France during the winter months. I probably don't even know one thing about Frédéric Mistral, the Nobel Prize-winning French poet who died in 1914. Probably the only Mistral that I can see is Gabriela Mistral, a Nobel Prize-winning Chilean woman poet and author, although that was only her pseudonym.

Yes, I will not attempt to deny that I am American and that I am entirely ignorant of the Mistral winds of Southern France. In fact, the only Gabriela Mistral that I can think of is a street near the house where we lived in San Salvador. I am fairly certain that the busy street was named after the Chilean poet, but the street is the only thing that comes to mind. I don't think we ever studied the Chilean poet.

Where did that come from? I wonder who said that and why.