Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Which Reminds Me

That was an odd bit, all those hints about Lord Stanley who traveled deep into the jungles of Africa to pronounce those immortal words, "Mr. Livingston, I presume?" Oh, is Charles Stanley, the Baptist preacher, his distant cousin? Oh, I hadn't thought of that. We might have glimpsed Dr. Stanley's face on television from time to time but never paused to think about what royal connections he might have in terms of genealogy. That was Lori Lowgun who returned to Atlanta where she attends one of the Stanley churches, last we heard of her, several years ago. But we were not so well connected to the Baptist's Reece's Peanut Butter Cups that we would want to trouble ourselves with questions of royal connections. We have to get jobs and go to work. We don't need that. Yes, I do remember seeing something on television about "Ferdinand the Bull." But, anyway, this is America in the 21st century, where we are all expected to work for our suppers from now on going forward into the future. If you want to govern the world you have to get elected. It is not enough to have a kingly ancestor. You have to assume the yoke of government, which I would imagine is no easy thing. Trampling underfoot an innocent bystander such as myself is not sufficient qualification for elective eligibility. You might get some points in terms of appeasing the King of Spain, given my deeply English roots, but ultimately we don't understand what you want. Are you asking that we split America between Spain and Britain halves? Give Texas back to Spain? All I know is that someone really should pay for this great big hassle. I am so backlogged on my reading and I can only read one thing at a time.