Friday, September 30, 2011

Gophers

Great-grandmother in her diaries often mentions the gophers that plague her vegetable garden. I am surprised to learn that gophers are a problem in Carlsbad but there it is in the diaries. I am thinking that great-grandmother is referring to rodent-like critters that often creep in from somewhere to nibble on the carrots and other sprouting vegetable plants in the garden that she has planted. Great-grandmother speaks of putting out poison for the gophers to eat so that they will die and give up the ghost. Another way of dealing with gophers is to set traps to catch them in the act of sneaking around where they don't belong. Thus, it was odd to hear someone saying that these references to gophers have a more symbolic meaning. I had not heard of great-grandmother's diaries at that time so perhaps I thought you were talking about go-fers. Well, if you want to be a go-fer and eat the poison then fine, do whatever you want. It is not like I ever knew what they were talking about anyway. Still, last time I checked I do not have a long rodent-like tail. It is more likely that there actually were gophers living in the Carlsbad area. You could always ask Gwen and her husband Lance who are described in the diaries as going over there to set up the traps and remove the dead critters or something like that. They might know more about the habitat and roaming ways of Carlsbad gophers. I myself know nothing about that, only what is written in the diaries. That is about all I would care to know about that personally speaking.