Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Purse Story

Yes, I suppose the purse story probably wasn't all that bad, not that I remember much about it. But it was literary journal criticism day and critics criticize. I was asked to deliver a critical opinion and thus I did so as back in those days I usually did whatever was asked of me with some exceptions. The author really should not have taken it so personally. It really did not matter who wrote the story. Critics criticize and so if I had been given some other story by some other author to criticize, undoubtedly I would have found some reason to be critical of it and deem it perhaps unworthy of publication, not that my opinion would matter all that much in the final analysis. I did not continue with the literary criticism journal thing after that day because anyway I admit that at age 14 I do not know enough about literary criticism to know that I am supposed to like everything and that I should just not say anything and let it go. There is no shortage of reasons why someone may not like your caterwauling style and may not want to waste the paper on your peripatetic ramblings, or else they may love it. I have no idea. It is better for me that the hammer of judgment be delivered by someone other than myself so that no one can have place to say that it was my fault that it was or was not published. Ok, so that is not exactly what you wanted to hear but I don't remember anything else about it or why my opinion should matter at all when obviously nobody cares what I think about anything.