Sunday, September 11, 2011

Joy In The Morning

I must admit that I have or at least formerly had this book on my bookshelf. It seemed very cheap as a used paperback edition when I purchased several items once many years ago at a used bookstore that has long since disappeared but I never did have time to actually read it just as I never read the other book by Betty Smith that I also bought at the same time. I wouldn't want people to think that I actually read all these books that are taking up way too much space on my bookshelf. I am not even sure I remember where they all came from but I rarely really read fiction anymore, just have too many other things to do. I was cured of that a long time ago. I vaguely remember in the distant past expressing the traditional criticism of pretentious people who keep lots of unread books on their bookshelves to impress people with knowledge that is not really theirs. They don't want people to think that they don't know anything and so they buy lots of books. This line of thought makes me feel guilty to be found in the possession of any books. What would people think if they came over to my house and spied a copy of something controversial? They might think that I actually read it and know what they are talking about in terms of the content of the book. So yes, I am admitting that I am one of those pretentious book owners that I once criticized. I have plenty of books that I have not read and yet still I do not feel guilty about owning them and not reading them. At least if I ever had the time, I would not have to go anywhere to find them again. And it remains true that you cannot judge a book by its cover or a book owner by the books. I am not my books. My books are not me. I should not have to explain this plain fact, plain as the nose on your face. Nobody in their right mind would judge me by the books. Only a psycho witch would do something like that.