Friday, March 23, 2012

The 9th Grade Fight

I vaguely remember that in 9th grade there was a fight between Margot de la Guardia, who is originally from Panama, and Patricia Cruz, who is a very scary person, very politically connected and buddy-buddy with the CIA trash who I never liked very much and who were always hostile to me, myself being the U.S. citizen in this picture. Just because I am a U.S. citizen, that does not mean there is any law requiring that I suck up to the nasty CIA dogs in order to maintain my U.S. citizenship. My purpose in life does not involve them very much and their nasty little digs never made any sense to me. Where in international law does it dictate that I must take sides in this conflict between Margot and Patty, the particulars of which I know nothing about and understand nothing? I think that Margot was the aggressor in the conflict that involved hitting each other or something, and I am not trying to excuse her behavior in that regard, but anyway I don't remember Patty ever being nice to me or inviting me to her house for lunch to work on a school project or inviting me on a double date, Margot with her Catalonian boyfriend and for myself a blind date with some guy whose name I do not now recall. Almost the only thing I remember about that is that he was talking about Comandante Che, which is a scary subject to be talking about on a blind date, and anyway I never saw him again. Anyway, it is very clever the way Patty is trying to expand her personal conflict into something that it never really was. I never gave Patty much thought because she had her rigidly inflexible clique, never thought of her as a friend of the United States, which includes me whether she likes it or not. All of this trashing of white women, this transference of the map of Spain onto the United States, serves very well the purposes of Fidel Castro. Perhaps Patty and her buddies would feel more comfortable residing in Cuba once the emigration papers have been worked out.

I am surprised to see Carol and some others jumping on the train to Havana. I don't recall ever discussing these matters with her, nor did we ever talk about the particulars of Spanish literature that I was studying in high school, things such as the novel about the president of Guatemala, where Carol has some connections although I don't know anything about that.

Thus, all these bad jokes about nuns, "Sor" being the nunnery's designation for sister, are doubly bizarre. I never studied the works of that Uruguayan nun, Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz, so I am totally baffled by these allusions to nunnery. Hamlet's line, "Get thee to a nunnery: why wouldst thou be a breeder of sinners?" was spoken to Ophelia, who apparently deserved to be abused and cast aside by the man who was supposed to be her husband because she trusted him too much. So, like, huh?

No one ever said that random acts of violence were ever intended to make any sense.