Monday, March 5, 2012

Mejía

Reviewing the high school yearbook recently I suddenly noticed something that I had never thought of in high school, that Antonia Mejía from church, the boyfriend of my sister's friend Conchi, and China Mejía, a from high school, someone I never thought of or met or spoke to or would ever have been interested in mingling with, just vaguely remember seeing his face there, have the same last name. I never noticed that during high school and it doesn't necessarily mean anything. After all, lots of people in Spanish have the same name and are not that closely related. There really aren't that many Spanish last names in comparison to English for some reason so the list of Gonzalez, Rodriguez, Sanchez is endless. It is impossible to say from just seeing a last name whether there is much connection if any. So it is interesting and yet means nothing to me because the two worlds, church and school, don't mix very well for some reason. Mainly it is because the wealthy people who attend the expensive private school would probably prefer not to mingle and rub elbows with the hoi polloi common middle class down to very poor people one finds at our churches. It is the case that in Latin America society is much more stratified in terms of social class which explains a stricter separation there between rich and poor, not that I would know anything about that. I was only visiting that country, not planning to stay forever in that social limbo land. It's not like I would ever have any reason to exchange information or go back there because nobody ever asked me nor would they ever.