Sunday, March 4, 2012

Book Burning

Yes, it was my parents who had a book burning and thus destroyed several old books that were considered extraneous and surplus or in horrible condition beyond repair, including the volumes that had holes bored through them by bookworms because there actually is such a creature or else unsuitable for the eyes of children attending the little school, San Salvador Christian Academy. Yes, it is rather horrible and sad to contemplate the fact that some books were obliterated from the face of the earth. Just think of the horrible loss of library books that ensued when the library at Alexandria, Egypt, was destroyed by fire in 48 B.C. Julius Caesar didn't mean to burn the library, only his own ships for military reasons, and yet countless manuscripts are lost to posterity because of a careless warrior playing with matches. And so it is that various books were burned at the MK School although I don't remember which ones. It wasn't my idea. If it were up to me, no book would ever be discarded. If there were only some place to put them all I would have a huge personal library because I love books and it is hard for me to let the books go. Better to pass the books along to someone who wants them rather than toss them in a landfill. Still, I am sure that books get thrown away all the time. Thus, it makes no sense to slit my throat over some books that my parents burned. Just because they had a huge bonfire out on the basketball court, that does not mean that it was a witch burning kind of thing. There were some strange books there of which I remember almost nothing, just that they were stashed in the back of the storage room so that nobody could find them until my parents got busy cleaning things out, and my mothers always did love to throw things away.