Thursday, March 15, 2012

Menudo

That was very strange how someone, maybe Stacy, was asking me about the musical group Menudo, sort of insinuating something like that's probably the only Spanish music I ever heard of. I have heard of Menudo, that being a famous group of little boys who do teenybopper music that little junior high girls like to listen to and from which emerged the famous singer Ricky Martin, who does mostly mindless bar-hopping dance music that I mostly never listen to although I am aware of that. I never go to nightclubs so have no connection to the Ricky Martin scene and have no idea why Stacy would be so fascinated with the thought of Menudo. I may have heard talk of Menudo or read an article about them in a magazine but I am really not familiar with their music. It would be just like a silly Puerto Rican dog to think that Menudo is the only Spanish music on the planet and Ricky Martin the only Spanish singer. Like I was saying to Stacy, I remember from high school listening to songs by Mocedades, a Spanish group that Stacy, for all her "Spanishness," says she has never heard of, but I don't know anything about Menudo, a word that could also be mistaken for a bowl of soup or used to indicate the passage of time, such a menudo or por menudo, frequently or often. However, I see no reason to post on Facebook music by Menudo which was not really something that I ever listened to or know anything about. Of course, more recently I have posted a lot of things on Youtube that I never noticed before when in high school. Suddenly seeing all these things put together a certain way, I realize that I am not the first to assemble this thing, whatever it is. Likewise, I see no reason to post on Facebook that song that Mocedades did about Che Guevara. I was shocked to see the video there on Youtube because I did not realize that Mocedades was that political, although they are ethnic Basques in Spain, but I don't remember seeing or being aware of that in high school and I don't know anything about it. I only remember some of their older songs that played on the radio that were not so political, just nice songs about the things of youth that are sort of universal to human existence, although maybe there was more politics to that than I realized at the time. I did like their song, "Eres Tu," "El Vendedor," and some others but I did not buy any Spanish records in high school so I really don't remember other than some things I heard here and there.