Saturday, August 18, 2012

Customs

I vaguely remember John Bueno talking about the Latin custom of chaperone dating which requires a third party to be present at all times to make sure that nothing happens. He grew up in Chile where the chaperone system is rigorously enforced. Which reminds me that once during high school I was invited to Margot's house to collaborate on some class project which I cannot recall. Afterwards, her boyfriend and another guy came over and we four drove around in his car for a while, myself and that other guy in the back seat. As we were returning to Margot's house, there on the corner stood my sister and a couple of other little girls, maybe the San Giovanni girl and Cindy Bell, straining for a glimpse of the big sister on a date. How odd that they knew this was going to happen as I never discuss my personal business with them. My sister remarked later that I looked to her like I was scared because I was sitting somewhat pressed to the side, not that there was ever any attempt at touching by the Communist stooge. Anyway, we were just present to facilitate Margot's date. That was all. So later my sister went around telling everyone that I was afraid of guys even though that is not exactly the way I would describe the event. It is just that my leaky-mouthed sister never knows when to keep her mouth shut and never seems to understand that she was not really there so she really doesn't know what happened.

Anyway, you know what they say about foreign customs: "When in Rome do as the Romans." Well, sort of. But it was sort of awkward to be in that situation because anyway I was not interested in getting serious with some Latin guy, let alone marrying one. My sister dated Julio but I would rather die, really. After I get back to the U.S. I will probably marry a normal white guy if I ever find one who would have me, but if not then I just will be better off single than stuck with some creepy Latin man for a husband. No insult intended but anyway they probably have me confused with Libby Penders who probably would marry one if she could. I only speak for myself, unlike some other people I know.