Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Name Games

I really have no interest in encouraging these silly name games. Of course someone other than myself set that up because obviously I am a human being and not a vegetable of any type, not even a stalk of sugar cane to be axed. Sorry if I am not laughing but I just think it's ridiculous to slaughter my name as an example of name jokes of which I was not the original author and thus undeserving of such violent reciprocity. I remember in high school remarking very matter-of-factly in conversation on the phenomenon often observed in Latin culture of Spanish males who are named Jesus, as for example the boys' physical education teacher/soccer coach who was often overheard in conversations called "Don Shus" but actually his first name appears printed in the yearbook as "Jesus." So does that make the Hispanic male some sort of deity? No, obviously not. No one believes that. The girl I was talking to seemed surprised to see the name of "Jesus" in the yearbook so I was just explaining how that likely happened. Of course, we English-speaking people think that is sort of weird. We would never do that to our children. However, that often happens in these Latin cultures although some have said probably more in the lower classes or among persons of the "popular" Catholic religiosity who actually not properly educated in religious matters. Anyway, it is often hard to explain how people get stuck with all these weird names. The variety of name jokes is endless. There was a list that was passed around years ago but I don't have it handy at the moment. However, it is true that this phenomenon of persons named Jesus is mostly unique to Latin culture where religious devotion is often given to these dramatic displays of hysterical excess. I probably could have explained about Jesus better than that but it was hard to get a word in edgewise with these little chatterboxes.