Friday, August 3, 2012

Sugar Industry Garbage

I really am not paying attention to the sugar industry, realizing that my cakes and cookies just would not taste right without the real thing even while realizing that working conditions for those poor people are often quite lamentable. However, I am baffled at bizarre efforts to involve me in Afro-Cuban activism in this regard. I vaguely remember that when I was a reporter in Central Florida, that a co-worker Sheryl Rubin was obsessed with that issue, having previously worked at the newspaper in Clewiston. I vaguely remember Sheryl saying some things about that but that was her issue. I wouldn't want to step on her territory. I vaguely remember one day years ago when I took the scenic route home from Haines City and was driving along some little country road and saw a farm building on the side of the road with a huge sign on the front which included the word: "Calkins." I was quite surprised to see the exact spelling of my own name and yet I am not related to those people and have no idea who they are. I did not stop to find out what that was about. No one in my family has ever been involved in the sugar industry and/or farming in Central Florida so it would be ridiculous to imagine myself having any connection to that, just as it would be ridiculous to imagine myself related to the Olympic swimmer Tracy Caulkins. I realize that the sugar industry has its problems because I read some articles somewhere but I was never among the reporters who were following that. I also hate sports so obviously I was never interested in sports reporting. Thus, it makes no sense to cast me in that drama when I have no clue. Yes, I was fired by Max partly because Sheryl wanted to be in charge but she really does not know anything about me.