Thursday, January 10, 2013

Amish Whiners

Yes, the Amish look so quaint in their old-fashioned clothes driving their horse-drawn buggies and living in their quaint farmhouses harvesting their crops with sickle in hand and baking their cakes and pies on wood-burning stoves. However, there is a reason why we regular people don't go there, because their particular blend of legalism is somewhat toxic to persons who have not been raised in that from infancy. I, for example, would never survive there because I was a girl who wore pants in high school. Pants are a big taboo for girls of the Amish world even though in the mainstream world jeans are the normal uniform anymore.

However, given that these Amish people live isolated in their exclusive communities and never have any contact with us regular folks, we regular people ought have nothing to fear of the Amish.

Fortunately for me, there are no Amish people in my family. I have no Amish connections whatever, not one, so there is no reason for me to be getting weird messages from those quaint and bizarre Amish people. Their opinions are not really so highly regarded by regular people like me as they might imagine. They may have some good points but overall they miss the mark in a way. We could try to explain our point of view to them but they would not be able to listen.