Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Which reminds me

Probably lots of people remember in Miss Marken's 10th grade English class when Mario Caballero gave a somewhat interesting speech about how his wealthy landholding family finds it necessary to keep the low-class peons in their places. Apparently his family owns some type of ranch or has lots of people working for them. I don't know anything about that so obviously it was ridiculous for Stacy or someone who overheard this speech to try to lump me together with the slaveholding Tacketts of Alabama, if they were that, and I am not even related to the Tacketts directly, just because I was sitting there and heard him say that. I really would not know that. I only know that the Stricklands are not from Alabama and not really slaveholders if they were even born yet when my grandmother's father was soldiering with the Texas Rangers back in the old times of which no one living really remembers much of anything. I always thought that I was very nice to the maid, at least nice enough. Perhaps I did presume too much but I cannot rewrite history on this point. For me it is all just a matter of doing better later, unless I am not murdered by them first.