Sunday, January 27, 2013

Walker's Stepchildren

Which reminds me that Luisa Jeter Walker was one of those stray people who showed up around here from time to time. She was living in the area while working on some book projects for Editorial Vida so my mother invited her to our house for dinner or something like that. Also, one time when we were in Springfield, Mo. my mother talked me into going with her to visit Luisa Jeter Walker at Maranatha Village where she was living at the time and we saw her apartment and office where she was writing her famous history book chronicling the doings of Assemblies of God missionaries of Latin America during the 20th century. It was published in Spanish in three volumes but I am not sure if it was ever translated into English. So that's nice. On another occasion I remember that she turned her head in my direction and said, somewhat pointedly, "We're not taking you with us." Yes, and what did she mean by that anyway? Obviously my name would not be mentioned in the history books. I am nobody. Have I forgotten that children are supposed to be seen and not heard? Anyway, the Walkers were in Peru, which means nothing to me. She must have had such a miserable life there in Peru raising six horrid stepchildren, Walker's obnoxious whiners of whom we would prefer not to be hearing another word. Did their parents never teach them when to keep their mouths shut? The Walker family meant nothing to me so I really don't care if they are not taking me with them. There is really nothing left of missionary life anyway except the memories, most of which are best forgotten because nobody really cared anyway whether I lived or died. Nothing new there.