Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Which Reminds Me

Yes, I do seem to recall that my two-headed Push-Me-Pull-You talking stuffed animal toy, part of Dr. Doolittle's menagerie, was among the items that disappeared from my closet during the time that Antonia was our maid. Toña was a surly mean-spirited person with a sullen aspect. It will be remembered that my mother fired the maid Toña after she found in the maid's room a suitcase stuffed full of stolen things that she was preparing to leave with. It was not because we were particularly attached to such inanimate objects that the maid was fired. It was because we had learned by sad experience that Antonia "Toña" could not be trusted to be set loose in our house while we were not at home. So not to be mean or anything like that but your campaign to gain sympathy for Antonia will ultimately accomplish not much other than kill me in the process, as if a maid deserves to replace a daughter. I cannot possibly imagine what happened to Antonia after that, whether she found another job or whatever, but I imagine that perhaps her life was difficult  because we certainly could not be counted on to give her a good reference. It's not like I am angry with her still but these matters are out of my control. Not to be mean or anything, but your efforts to reduce me to the level of Antonia will ultimately not succeed. Dreary horrid Antonia was only the hired help so we are not required to listen to her verbal darts all of the time. We can disregard and dispose of Antonia. Obviously we cannot say the same thing about our stupid family members.