Friday, April 29, 2016

Which Reminds Me

Yes, I vaguely remember Lilian Pilarinos who taught at the Missionary Kid school, although she was never my teacher because the year that I was in 8th grade she was teaching the little kids (1-4 grades). Although she was from our church denomination, she was from Louisiana, New Orleans area, so she had a peculiarly Confederate view of the Civil War. She was also Greek. I remember her explaining to us some things about that in her interestingly Southern Confederate way even though we didn't quite see it that way. Our grandfather McClellan was a big fan of Lincoln, I seem to recall. Sometimes people called her 'Lil Pil' because that was her name abbreviated and also because being a pill means being something of a puzzlement. She was often heard to complain that she felt like a spare tire in the world of married couples that were the missionary families. Yes, I do remember her saying that, but that is often how single women missionaries feel when they are living in foreign countries where there is no romantic attachment available, nothing unusual about that. Life is just all a job. That is just the way it is. You are there to work work work, not to continually annoy us with your allusions to spare tires, not to destroy the lives of the very children you were sent there to instruct in the ways of life. But I digress.