Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Which Reminds Me

Yes, it was so depressing having to work at Vida Publishers with Carol Long for a boss. Carol does her job very well but I do wish to be a clone of her or judged by comparison to her. I just can't understand how she finds it so interesting to cater to the whims and notions of those dreary Distribution Department geeks. As Carol's whipped gopher, I spend most of my time running back and forth to the copy machine to make endless photocopies of various items for them, not to mention the time that I spend laboriously transcribing their dictatorial pronouncements into printed matter, eventually destined for storage in the meticulously tended filing cabinet. I must use my middle initial to distinguish myself from cc, which means "copies to." But I do not wish to discuss with you the various jokes related to my middle name so I will omit that piece of information, thanks anyway. It is so easy for Carol to be a single old maid because, anyway, she gets an executive position and plenty of money to go along with paying for the business attire and so forth. I realize that some people only remember Carol and have no memory of me ever being there. So why can't I find my own position independent of and outside of Carol's shadow? Why am I still held hostage to Carol's shadow when it has been many years since she went to work for the phone company? I believe that I need to find my own life independently of Carol Long and Gladys Myrick.