Thursday, January 13, 2011

Never Been To Haiti

I have never been to Haiti. I think we have all heard the story about how those two Haiti MKs, Jeff and his brother, got a tuition-free ride through college courtesy of the evangelist David Wilkerson who was so impressed with their helpfulness in organizing a crusade there in Haiti when they were in high school. So that's nice. However, that sort of thing never happened to me. For one thing, I am girl. Apparently only boys were eligible. I do not think I ever heard of Jeff's two sisters getting free college. Also, Mr. Wilkerson never visited El Salvador when I was in college and besides high school girls just don't do the type of work that would impress Mr. Wilkerson. We were kind of busy doing our school work so no time to double as event organizers. Sure, we heard about David's translation work at crusades but girls like me would never be asked to do that sort of thing. Besides, one cannot expect the Wilkersons to pay everyone's college tuition. It is their money and they can do whatever they want with it. Anyway, I do not really remember stressing out about that or feeling jealous in any way. It would feel sort of icky in a way to be so dependent on and obligated to the Wilkerson family, to be so owned by them lock, stock and barrel, that you would be forever obligated to their interests at your own expense. You become just the Wilkerson's barking dog. It is fairly obvious that someone said this of Jeff and his brother although it was not me. Anyway, we are not jealous of Jeff and his brother. We understand why they might take whatever opportunity was given to them but we realize that such arrangements also have their disadvantages and drawbacks. So if you can pay your own way it is much better to have an independent voice. But not everyone can do that. Some people just can't speak for themselves.