Saturday, January 22, 2011

Poetry

Yes, I went to a Bob Bennett concert with Barbara Harvey's sister and she thought it was the stupidest thing, all those crazy lyrices, all those words strung together in meaningless combinations. "Still Rolls the Stone." How ridiculous! Why does he talk about the boulder in the present tense? Some Gospel accounts do not even mention this so-called stone being rolled away depending on which gospel you read and how you interpret it. Doesn't he know that we Christians do not listen to the Rolling Stones? etc. etc. So I did not enjoy the concert very much because of having to discuss, or should I say argue about this afterward. If you did not get a good dose of Poetry Interpretation 101 in high school it is hard for you to get it no matter what I say. I cannot help you with this problem of yours. I enjoyed the music but I also know that sometimes the words just feel instinctively right or clashingly wrong. In-depth analysis may later confirm the truth already intuited because but that is how art works. If you cannot wing it by intuition and must have everything spelled out for you, A- B- C-,  then perhaps you just don't like the truth that is staring you in the face. You would like to rewrite history to suit yourself. Perhaps you are a symptom of what Allen Bloom called, "The Closing of the American Mind." I thought about selling my copy of Bloom's book but perhaps I should actually read it first. Someday. Maybe. So many books. So little time.