Saturday, January 15, 2011

Prophecy

If I were sane then I would get a life, but instead I sit here and wait for the sky to fall. As Chicken Little often said, "The sky is falling." Chicken Little is a folk tale not to be confused with David Wilkerson's book, "The Vision," which I did read at least in part, a chilling prophecy of America fallen prey to moral depravity and corruption. It is uncanny how often Mr. Wilkerson's visions do come true. Is he truly a prophet of God or just a self-fulfilling prophecy? Well, who am I to say? Frightening prophecies are in the Bible for a purpose but I doubt we will understand it all until we have been singing "Amazing Grace" for ten thousand years and can look back at the signposts of history. Until then we only have pieces of a puzzle, as I have often said.
Thus, it is not wrong for me to read "The Day the Dollar Died" because it was written by prominent AG scholar, Willard Cantor, but I also can hope these things don't happen that way. It is not wrong for me to read Hal Lindsey's books even if the actual events and people are not playing out exactly the way he thought they would. We cannot know the day nor the hour, as Jesus said, and even Hal Lindsey does not know. The point is, "Are you ready? If Jesus comes today are you ready?"
It is not for us to understand the fulfillment of end-times prophecy. Nevertheless, like my mom said, there is a blessing for those who read the Book of Revelation. We read it and remember it even when we don't understand because it is there in the Biblical canon. It means something important even if it is only one small part of the entire Bible. We go by the whole counsel of God, not just one little portion.
I note here that I once saw a Calvary Chapel video in which the word counsel was prominently misspelled as "Council." That is a really bad mistake. They really should fix their problem but I don't go there so it is not my problem.
So if it is in the Biblical canon I must read it but not because the pastor said I should or should not. It is about more than just pastor. It is about me and my personal relationship with God. Church is supposed to be there for me, not vice versa. And then again, vice versa, I must be part of a church if I heed the Biblical warning not to drop out of church. It is just safer that way.