Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"I Fire Writers"

I recall my Dad once suggesting that I answer the ad with the famous headline, "I Fire Writers." This was when I was in high school and the ad put out by Norm Rohrer who ran something like the Christian Writers Guild and administered a correspondence course for would-be Christian writers often appeared in Christian magazines that I like to read such as Christianity Today and Campus Life. I don't know why I never mustered the courage to do that, however. The ad is not talking about firing in the sense of dismissal. It is referring to getting the writer all charged up to go out and write a lot of stuff and pay your own way through life. Oh, did I mention this to someone? Anyway, you are not in charge of firing writers so obviously you are not in a good position to fire me. If only you could put me on your payroll, then you could easily fire and dismiss me from your employment but alas it is not possible for you to drop your atom bomb on me for I am just a little too off-target for comfort, am I not? If you would like to mail me a paycheck to do whatever I want, that would be nice. After all, Robbie gets to do whatever he wants and his only credential is the fact of being an MK. I, too, am an MK so I think that someone should be funding my luxury lifestyle so that I also can do whatever I want as determined by me. What's fair is only fair.