Sunday, November 10, 2013

Which Reminds Me

I was talking to that girl at high school shortly before graduation and she was telling me that there was some controversy involving the boys' coach. I don't remember what she said. I just remember explaining that his name is Jesus because, strangely, many Catholics in Latin America name their sons Jesus. This seems strange to us English people because we have too much respect for the name Jesus to be putting it on our own children. To us the name of Jesus is set aside for the Son of God. But anyway these not-so-well-educated Catholics sometimes give the name Jesus to their sons. I remember that he was more often called "Don Shus" but that was his nickname, perhaps a way to avoid saying the name. As I was saying, his given first name is Jesus even though that name will not get so much respect in the U.S. It seems weird to us.