Saturday, November 2, 2013

Which Reminds Me

Someone was ranting on the Three Musketeers theme: "One for all, All for One." Yes, I have heard that saying. Uh, no, I never did read that book so I really cannot share your enthusiasm for the philosophical depths of Alexandre Dumas and his theme of united defense of the French monarchy. Yes, I did see the movie, a movie, I don't remember which one but probably not the one that was in theaters during high school. There are several versions. I do think that I saw one or more versions on television. No, I did not watch Ninja turtles, only heard some related babble on the theme of the Three Musketeers. Musketeers presumably has something to do with persons shooting with ancient muskets used in the 18th century, whether for hunting or military purposes and nothing to do with mice or turtles. There are three musketeers plus a fourth person, their friend D'Artagnan, in the novel that I never actually read. Ok, whatever. Yes, anything can sound good in fiction but reality is more complicated than that. The pablum of fiction is often used to manipulate public opinion but truth is something else.

I do recall that one time when Mona Balius was here visiting I turned on the TV and the Three Musketeers was on and we watched for a while and Mona was horrified. It is better not to watch TV with these old-timers from Mississippi present. They are often horrified by everything. Perhaps they read more into it than I do. Also, maybe the movie was worse than I had realized it was going to be. The historical costumes always look so interesting but the characters are so unreal. Really, one cannot expect anything good to come out of a movie about filthy French decadents so I should have known better than to even turn on the television. There is just never anything to watch.