Sunday, October 3, 2010

Complications

P.S. to Men: Don't invite me out for sodas, your sister and me, and drive us to the restaurant and then pretend later, after the check comes, that I should have paid for my soda even though you never said so and you are paying for hers and only a chilly coldness later gives me the impression that I should have paid for my own soda. That makes you a cheapskate. If you invite a couple of high school girls to the restaurant and tell your sister's friend upfront that she will have to pay for her own soda, then that makes you rude. But unfortunately, you cannot have it both ways. You have to be rude upfront if you do not want to pay thus giving your spare tire guest the opportunity to graciously decline your unacceptable offer that is being extended so unwillingly and under false pretenses with the sole purpose of making yourself sound like a gracious host even when you really are not.