Sunday, October 10, 2010

Hookey?

Yes, I never should have agreed to skip class that one time but it wasn't my idea. There they were, Cheatuh Rivera and the Marionitess, sneaking out the back door and would I please accompany them. And what was the point anyway? It is so easy for these rich people such as Cheatuh Rivera to play hookey from school on a regular basis, being perhaps constrained for mysterious reasons from getting into the Mercedes Benz and driving to school. And where do they find time to buy all those cigarettes? It does not matter whether those people learn anything at school. They have the money and connections to make all of these problems, such as politically controversial Spanish literature curriculum, just disappear. But for me, a kid who rides the bus to school, except for the two times I walked, if I were to skip even one class my entire world would collapse. After all, the only reason that my name regularly appears in the newspaper honor roll lists is that I have an excellent attendance record which is the only thing that means, if I remember correctly. It is not like my GPA would qualify me for extraordinary honors, not that I ever thought that it would anyway. All these people are so eager to find chinks in my armor which is another reason to be very quiet at school. Never give them an opening because they will be like a pack of jackals ripping and tearing at the slightest potentiality or vaguely imagined association even if unsupported by a shred of evidence. So, in summary, it was a very bad idea to skip class that one time, but given that I did and it cannot be undone, there is no reason to pretend that I did attend class when I did not and thus cannot say for sure what happened there on that day.